Tuesday, November 13, 2012

I'm Proud of our Youth :)

My name was on the list on Sunday to visit the nursing home for our church's bi-monthly afternoon service.  One Sunday a month this service is done by adults, couples and families from the church.  The service consists of a welcome, singing, message, more singing and a farewell.  The other Sunday service every month is done by our youth.
This past Sunday was supposed to be led by one of our men, and attended by families, couples, etc.  But the leading man needed to be out of town at the last minute, so my son, Luke, stepped up to do the leading, while another man graciously did the message.  We had a number of young people in attendance and what I witnessed brought tears to my eyes.
For years I was on the "other side" - I was one of the youth who did the service.  But 2 days ago I was given the opportunity to see a few of our young people 'in action' at the nursing home.  I saw my son up front, leading.  I saw young people bending over older bodies to help them find the right pages in the song book.  I saw the down-side of growing older being overlooked - the drool, the drooping heads, the glazed-over eyes, the blank smiles, the meaningless chatter - overlooked by these strong, vibrant young people as they leaned over to give a much needed smile or a pat on the back.  I saw young men watching for a chance to give their chair up for a latecomer, even getting up to direct the elderly to a vacant chair.  I heard songs of hope and salvation being sung, giving an opportunity for the gospel to shed its light, giving comfort and joy to those who've already embraced the gospel.  I heard a message of God's love going out in all its power - armed with the Word of God which is living and active, able to reach through wherever the Spirit has intent.  I was touched and encouraged and made to look upward to the God who can take young people and make them a powerful force for good in a broken world.
If you have the opportunity, encourage the youth in your life.  Encourage them to put aside the inconvenience of having to give up their 'own' time to serve.  Church leaders, encourage your youth!  Let them know that you're behind them - even that you'll stand beside them!  So many of today's youth are completely apathetic to the needs around - yet completely in-tune to their own 'needs'.  Let's get behind our church youth, get to know them, open our homes to them, be a friend and mentor to them so that they can be better equipped to use their energy and time for things of eternal value.

(ps - the pics are all stock photos, courtesy of the internet)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I remember with fondness the times spent at the nursing home on Sunday evenings through our whole young people's time! (even though some places were nicer than others). What a great blessing that our youth still have that opportunity to share God's love in a simple way!

Betty said...

I was thinking the same thing. What a blessing our nursing home visits were for us as young people. We were there to encourage them, but many evenings I came away feeling greatly encouraged and challenged by the wonderful people we were supposed to be ministering to. Dear Mrs. Colton especially! Her happiness, faith and love were beautiful and she brought such glory to God, despite her blindness and struggles.

Marguerite said...

Yes! Cher, what a blessing for you to witness it come full circle! and yes, I too was blessed by it in my youth - sadly that YP ministry that started when Dad was a YP, ended last (?) year for our YPs - just too small a group. Hopefully one day our church will rebuild enough to start it again. We keep hoping!